Garmin GPS 172C

ReelyHooked

Participating Member
City
Bedminster
I recently had my GPS installed and I am new to the unit but when I enter a destination it takes a straight route there. The line actually will cross over land! Any tips or trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated. I read the manual and the quick reference but I just cannot get a grasp on the GPS.

djdecuollo,
If you are trying to put known waypoints into your Garmin such as a certain buoy position; with your garmin on, press menu button, press again for full screen. then press the down button until your are on points. Press the right button. Then press Menu, then press enter. It should give you a waypoint such as 01 in a square. You can then enter your numbers and press enter when you are through. I have a 178C and thats the way to enter waypoints on mine. Look in your manual under creating waypoints. It will walk you through it. I like my Garmin. It is very user friendly to me and I'm a dummy when it comes to new technology.Good Luck.
John D.

Thanks for the extra info, but where I run into the issue is that when it says go to point it takes a direct route right to the location, or if I choose a destination from Blue chart it just goes right over land to the destination. Is that possibly a zoom feature?

The GPS units, garmin etc, all do this as the consider the point you are at and the next point you want to goto. It is not a charting program so it just makes a straight line as you have stated. What you can do is program in a route, thus you are setting multiple waypoints. While this can be done on the unit itself, it is easier to buy Mapsource (for garmin) sit at your computer and set your routes. These can then be downloaded into your GPS unit.

I have the 498 and it just sets a course as the crow flies. You need to look at the map and sometimes set a few points that will get you where you need to go without going over the land. Someday it will be like a car GPS and tell you "go left here" but not yet :)

Unfortunately GPS/Chartplotters prior to this year require the operator to do the plotting. That is, we must plot a course on the chart display around obstacles, in channels etc. that will safely take us to our destination with each straight line beginning and ending at a "waypoint." The plotters could not "see" these hazards intrinsically, even though they appear on the chart, in order to do it automatically.

However, Garmin's 2007 line of plotters, when using the optional and expensive Bluechart G2 Vision card you can use what Garmin calls Auto Guidance and the plotter will indeed chart a safe course when given just the start and end points. No more straight lines across solid ground. how well this technology works remains to be seen but it sure is something to contemplate.;)

Unfortunately GPS/Chartplotters prior to this year require the operator to do the plotting. That is, we must plot a course on the chart display around obstacles, in channels etc. that will safely take us to our destination with each straight line beginning and ending at a "waypoint." The plotters could not "see" these hazards intrinsically, even though they appear on the chart, in order to do it automatically.

However, Garmin's 2007 line of plotters, when using the optional and expensive Bluechart G2 Vision card you can use what Garmin calls Auto Guidance and the plotter will indeed chart a safe course when given just the start and end points. No more straight lines across solid ground. how well this technology works remains to be seen but it sure is something to contemplate.;)

Impressive, I am glad I have held off upgrading my GPS as that will be a very cool feature!

I have been drooling on the new garmin 5000 series. It is touch screen and will do all those nice things with the g2 vision chip. I would just have to refinance my house to get it though. :)

I have been drooling on the new garmin 5000 series. It is touch screen and will do all those nice things with the g2 vision chip. I would just have to refinance my house to get it though. :)

I hear interest rates are going down so refinancing may be a viable option! It's only money, right? :D

I hear ya.... on my 186 the 545s, with its integrated depth finder and internal GPS antenna, would be a nice addition with the limited space on the console. Almost a thousand bucks at the moment.......and that's without the chip upgrade.......!! :(

anchorexpress has the 545 for the unlisted price of $809 and $259 for the chip. I think I will run out and buy a couple lol Actually when I think about it, that isnt much more then what I paid for original garmin with chip!

Back