Garmin GPS info needed

triumphdiver

Registered Member
City
Sonoma
I hope this is the right place for this question.
I am looking for info on connecting my 2009 Garmin 5212 to my 2006 Suzuki DF140. I would like to monitor my fuel consumption, RPM's, fuel level, etc.
My dealer went out of business. Garmin says to contact Suzuki. Suzuki says to contact Garmin. I say contact this forum. Any idea's. VAN

You will need am engine interface like the Lowrance EP-20 Interface and the appropriate NMEA2000 Cabling (the easiest to find is the LowranceNet Cables).

You will need a minumum of 3 Tees, 2 Backbone Terminators, a Power Spur Cable, a Spur cable to connect to the 5212, a spur to connect to the EP-20, and backbone cables of sufficient length to join the tees.

Here's the info on the engine interface:

http://pneu.dulong.net/docs/Que%20founit%20l%27EP20.pdf

Normally if you get the Garmin NMEA 2000 Starter Kit it will contain the following: 1-Power Cord, 1-BackBone Cord, 2-Tee Connectors, 1-Female Terminator, 1-Male Terminator and 1-Drop Cord. When you order the Lowrance Interface Cable it normally comes with the extra Tee Connector you need for the complete setup. Do a search on this site using "NMEA 2000" and you will get both mine and other install info to help you. If you need more don't hesitate to PM me. Here is a link for the interface Cable you need. http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/...rine.com/files/Lowrance_Engine_Interfaces.pdf
Russ

You guys have been great. This beats working with companies. I'll track down the parts.
Wiring help will be needed. VAN

Van,
You are not going to believe how simple installing the NMEA 2000 really is!!! The hardest part is running the interface cable thru the motor harness.
Russ

You guys have been great. This beats working with companies. I'll track down the parts.
Wiring help will be needed. VAN

That's the beauty of nmea2k over nmea0183, it's all plug-n-play. But any help you do need, give me a shout.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I'm doing something very similar with a Garmin 4010 and a Suzuki DF175. The parts and support can be found via NMEA 2000 Suzuki Modular Instrument Systems - Browns Point Marine Service. It can be a bit confusing as Suzuki and Lowance worked together on some of the hardware and both have revised connectors and part numbers.

You need a Lowance unit to configure the engine interface once fitted. Assuming you'll buy the multiple function version sold with a Suzuki logo, your parts list is below. You will have some of this from your Garmin kit.
Here is what you will need.

Qty * *Part Number * * * *Description * *Comments
1 * *BPMS99101 * * * *BPMS SMIS Adapter * *Note- not listed on the site. This converts the older round plug on your outboard to the new square plug needed.
1 * *990C0-88134 * * * *SMIS Engine Interface
1 * *990C0-88108 * * * *25' Extension Cable * *
2 * *990C0-88110 * * * *T-Connectors * *
1 * *990C0-88112 * * * *SMIS Power Cable * *
1 * *990C0-88113 * * * *Female Terminating Resistor * *
1 * *990C0-88114 * * * *Male Terminating Resistor * *
1 * *990C0-88104 * * * *2' Extension Cable * *May need to be longer
to reach unit

1 ****990C0-88101 *******4" Gauge

What does interfacing the engine (Suz DF150) to the Garmin: gas mileage monitoring, RPM, fuel level, etc.? I have the Suzuki digital gauges and all that information can be found there.

I agree with Scott......Browns Point Marine Suzuki Marine Outboard Parts & Accessories - Browns Point Marine Service will set you up with everything you need. I'm not sure what's possible with the DF140, but my DF150 is linked to my Garmin GPSMAP 546s via NMEA 2000 backbone. The Garmin shows RPM, GPH, fuel remaining, MPG, etc. The engine interface was set up for me by Browns Point.

Bee, As long as you have the digital gauges thats great. When you don't have them, that's where the NMEA2K comes into play and through the engine interface puts all that same info right on the screen of your GPS along with alot more info. ie, water temp, RPM, oil pressure, oil temp, engine hours, trim and so much more than I can think of off the top of my head.

Back