Fla Keys Fishing

F

Fischer53

I am heading to Duck Key the first week in Feb and trying to arraign a fishing trip. Never been down that way and have no knowledge of what to fish for. Not inclined toward blue water fishing. Options are bottom fishing on the reef or working the flats for "anything from sharks and jacks to small resident Tarpon, possibly Spanish Mackerel or Snappers". Interested in the opinions of those who know. I tend to work bluefish and strippers up here when I am in the salt.

Florida Keys Fishing

I wish I had some advice for fishing in the Keys this time of year but my husband and I go in August for lobster and dolphin out of Big Pine Key. Nothing beats being out on the water in the Keys!

I just wish I was goin' with ya'. Have fun and "Get a BIG ONE"!

M I M

Mike, my family and I went last year. As far as Snappers go, we had our best luck fishing under the bridge (A1A) when the tide would change about 1 before and 1 hour after. We used chopped squid, sardines, and we would catch small pinfish and use them. It seemed like the fish ran uder the bridge when the tide changed and we would be there for them. A couple of times we caught our limit and had to go home. I even snagged a Tarpon under there.

If you want some fun..try top water plugging on the flats for the small baracudas:D

Good Luck

Back