Etec- bad News

shallowater

Registered Member
Has anyone Owning a new E-tec (mine is a 75 with 35 or 40 hrs) had a starting problem (will not stay running until 3rd or 4th try with key) changed injectors, now engine skips at low rpm 1100-1600.Trolling speeds.Mechanic is master but this is new tech, we could be stuck for now . I am dissappointed big time. This motor was a commitment with my brand new Triumph 170cc. That we love.We had to come back in twice this September,you can feel the skip in your legs while underway,very constant. anyone else with these symptoms ,I would like to know. Have not contacted BMC directly yet would like to work through the dealer. Any suggestions ????????

Well I am not sure where you are at in the world. There is an E-tech mechanic on bloodydecks.com his aka is Getagaff. He is located in southern Ca. and loves the E-techs! I am sure he can help.

Sorry to hear about your motor issues. Even my 'perfect' Honda had issues last spring. Tundaboy makes a great suggestion, and there is also thehultruth.com - that is if you're thick-skined and can take a beating from the pro Etech bunch.

Had the same problem with my 04 60 horse Yamaha, ran well until this year then began starting hard and missing. Took it in early for the 100 hour service and the tech found all three carbs fuel screws out of adjustment. He took care of it and it now curses like a new motor. Gas mileage went back up as well.

Etec

I own a 40HP ETEC and had a problem this summer as well. I went on the Evinrude website and got a list of the preferred service marinas in my area. They were happy to help and I had my motor back in less than 3 days. I am in Canada so sorry can't help you with marinas!

By the way...love my Triumph and my Etec...can't wait for fishing season!!!!

I too have a new 75 Etec. Great motor. Hadf some rough running also at 1000 rpm's. I cleaned the plugs, added fresh gas and 2+4 conditioner. Motor runs great again. No missing at any rpm.
If you clean or replace your plugs be sure you align the plug just like you removed it, the open spark side must face the injector. Look at the plug the factory has marked it with a black marker (on the white ceramic) to aid in the alignment.
I own a 17DC and repowered this spring.

i just got my 2006 75hp etech with 50 hrs back from the dealer for the same thing, fouled plugs! they also reset the timming. i have talked with a few people who have had the same problem and it was fouled plugs. they also said no problems since. i just put 6 hrs on at all rpm's on it ran great. hope this helps.

So, is this maybe an ethanol issue? Do you guys run fuel/water separators?

I have heard it is advisable to carry spare oil for the E's since it is not widely available outside dealerships. How much oil do you burn? How are the screws on the carbs moving? Is there anyway to "lock" them in place?
I really like the technology and lower weight benefits of the E's, sounds like some simple fuel/mix issues.

i am going to add a water separator. the dealer checked the fuel and said no water was found.i have a 75hp etech and as for oil use in 56hrs i have used approx 2- 2 1/2 quarts which includes 5 hours break in time where twice the amount of oil is injected. it's true about no smoke/fumes and it is really quiet. i have the next 8 days off so i will be on the water every day, let you know how i make out. ps etech is going to have a recall on the fuel filters according to my dealer. the say there is a chance of them falling off. i looked at mine and don't see how, it has a wire tie on it. oh well good luck boating

e tech needs more tech

just on my way BACK to the dealer because my NEW 2006 75hp etech is missing at low rpms again. last time they told me fouled plugs and for 12 hrs it ran great. Now I'm told to bring it back in and it could take up to 2wks to fix. I just bought this the first week of aug. Dealer has been good so far but say's he will have to call factory rep in to fix. I don't think trolling a 3knt's for 20 min at a time should do this. The day before this happened it ran the best it ever has, full tank of fuel and me [270lbs] I hit 36.7knt's {41mph] 6000rpm I think this should burn any carbon on the plugs, but no the next day 20 min into fishing it started to run rough again. Ill let you know how I make out again. P.S thanks for letting me vent! It now has 63hrs

2007 etec

I have only have 15 hours on my 2007 etec on my 2007 215. So far its like a swiss watch. Using the 100 oil which was set by computer at dealer. I have a racor mounted. So far so good! Hit 35knots at around 5300 rpm - engine is still limiting its top RPM for break in (nice that the engine can think for itself - until it stops).

hi searover, I just have a few questions. what hp are you running, how long is your break in period and does the engine inject twice as much oil during this time? Just asking because I have a 75hp e tech and was wondering about break in periods. thanks

hi got my boat back and it runs great. My dealer put in a pin kit and all is well. going out this weekend to see if there are any strippers left in maine.

update

My 215cc with ETEC 150 HP now has 40 hours on it and has been burning about 2.2 GPH - which is very good.

There is no 'break in' period per se. The computer chip onboard adds extra oil until around 20 hours of NON IDLE time (as per my dealer). I use about 1 qt oil per 10 hours of running - using the 100 level oil.

At max RPM I hit around 35KPH on the GPS.

A nice cruising speed is 4000RPM which runs about 22KPH.

Back