Dbl Winch-launch & retrieve with ease!

Eric G

Registered Member
City
Rio Grande
Using double winch and block pulley, use second winch to "winch the boat off" the trailer at ramps with not enough water or low tide situations. Winch uses a belt rather than rope to clear some of the trailer bunk supports

First pic show 2nd winch line in "stored" position. Note bolts and fender washers thru the winch stand.
2nd pic shows 2nd winch connected to bow eye with safety link ready to winch boat off the trailer. What's not clearly shown, is a "bridle" tied into the purple line, so the 2nd winch line comming off the block is comming up BOTH sides of the bow to the safet link.
3rd pic shows block connection at rear bunk support. Note safety link. Can get two links from Lowes $8 in trailer section. Strong & high rated in strenth
4th pic shows zoomed out look of the winch bet/block/rope connection. Purple rope is ski-tow line (floats) rated at 2,000 lbs.
5th pic second winch in use at Cape May, NJ free ramp which is extermely shallow, worse in low tide. Save your back, no pushing, use the second winch.

Make sure both winch handles off-set each other so they can be turned

Hardest part of the install job is finding cobalt drill to drill the winch stand (Lowes $15 for drill bit). Make sure you use wide fender washers in the bolt thru the winch stand to spread out stress to prevent bolt & nut pull-thru.

Good idea, but I have to ask "if" your hull is not already floating when backed down that far? This for I can drive mine off the trailer even at low tide, if I bury the trailer wheel on mine that deep into the drink :confused:

If not, I would then consider adjusting both the bunks and then the wench stand further aft, then retesting the tongue weight with a bathroom scale to make sure you still have the recommended 10 to 15% total BMT weight still on the tongue ;)

Just a thought...

Just another thought.

While it costs a lot more money than a double winch setup, a trailer that has your boat sitting lower would also help.

Can your trailer be modified to lower the boat? It might just make sense to check it out. There are many people on this web site that are soooooooo talented. Eric G is one with his double winch. I could never have dreamed up that solution to the problem.

I am just envious of all the talent, so I will just keep learning. Thanks for sharing Eric G.

Lowering the trailer can be as easy as swapping the axle mounting location on the springs. If your trailer has leaf springs check to see if the spring is bolted on top of the axle or below. If it's on top, you can always unbolt them and then rebolt the axle to the top of the spring (the spring to the bottom of the axle) thereby lowering the trailer itself about 3 inches or more. Doesn't affect the ride or load capabilities but may make loading and unlaoding at a shallow ramp easier.

Martin Abshire

1st , no the boat is barely floating. The pic provided at the ramp the tide is all the way up. Its a pic I had. I do use my dbl winch quite regularly, lazy I guess.

Being a marina rat, I got a good deal on the 2nd winch:D

I also have bigger dia tire for better ride, and less wear & tear on the trailer for the long haul to the Outerbanks, a regular trip for me. Something I learned with the 4 other boats I had. Boat does sit up higher. Oregon Inlet, NC ramp is a one finger push.

Changing the axle height, I rather use the time to fish...I thank you for the suggestion.

Boat & Trailer combo is set up "purfect" for towing, including the extra gear in the boat on the tow to NC.

Don't like driving off the trailer, seen to many props and outdrives ripped up from our NJ boat ramps (the worse). PLus don't want to rip the carpet on the bunks, which is already happening with the livewell pickup (another story). Most of our ramps are way too shallow. If you note in the ramp pic, the blocks for erosion control. But they have cause flats and bent rims. 4 people have broken ankles on that ramp. (Grand State of New Jersey, Div. of Fish & Wildlife is currently using freshwater fishing liscense fee monies no less to fix the engineering fiasco) retrofitting the ramp with concrete over the blocks, many compliants about the ramps. Guess what, the new concrete is almost smooth,like a patio, no broom/rake finish...:eek:

I also launch from "natural" (beach) ramps in the summertime when you can't even get to the ramps, aka the dbl winch real purpose:cool:

If you boat in NJ, ya know what I'm talking about...

WOW,
Glad I do not have low ramps, infact some of ours are way to steep, I feel for the guys who have small trucks, trying to get off the ramp. But It looks like you got a great system for over coming your states low ramp situations.:)

Back