va striper fishing where?

cj413

Registered Member
City
Richmond
Hello all,
Striper season is coming up and i was wondering if anyone could recommend any good areas to go. I live in Richmond and usually fish the James River around here but I would like to try a bit of saltwater fishing if I can find a decent boat launch. I was thinking around the James River Bridge or Hampton Bridge tunnel. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
CJ

CJ while I don't know about the two places you mention there is a very good
public facility for Lynnhaven cove at Virginia Beach. You come out at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay right by the bridge

Hi,
You may be interested in looking into the Deltaville area. I am around Tappahannock now but before put in there and enjoyed it, its not too bad of a ride from Richmond. Just depends on what area of the bay you want to be in. Good Luck!

Thanks for the help guys. I've been putting in near bouy 19 on the river and then going out near the bay from there. I'm gonna try to find a closer ramp and put in cause it's about a 40 min boat ride from my usual spot....not that i mind a boat ride mind you. I will also try the va beach area as suggested. thanks again.. let me know if you know any good ramps to use save some time on the research part.
cj

go on over to Rudy inlet and get in on the big boys out in the ocean. great little inlet and the fish are usually right outside the inlet. more and more N.C Oregon Inlet fishermen are discovering it especially when we have such mild winters as recently and they dont move down the coast

CJ413,
Either one of the HRBT or James River bridge will produce plenty of stripers, especially at night. I work at the Naval base at Norfolk and have seen big stripers cruising the sea walls. If you want great action, fish the light line at night with medium action spinning gear with sassy shads or Zoom super fluke baits on a 3/8th oz lead head jig. If you work the light line, cast above the light and let the current take the lure toward the light as you retrieve. If you want to troll, use Storm wild eye shad lures about three to four feet off the bottom on a 15' leader (off a three way swivel) on the up current side close to the pilings. The HRBT is too short to troll so you'll have to settle for either anchor fishing or casting while drifting. With the evening temps dropping, things should heat up very soon. By the way, you can't fish out of Rudee until the Coastal season opens January 1st. Good luck.

Back