Just bought a new 190 bay!

2007Triumph

Registered Member
City
Port Saint Lucie
After doing my homework on all the different types of boats out there and finding a dealer I felt comfortable with, I finally bought a new 190 bay today from Modern Discount Marine in Fort Pierce. It should be ready next Saturday. This Triumph boat owners network helped me to gain valuable information about the boat and my dealer. Thank you for having this site available. Sure helped me to pull the trigger!

Congratulations/ things to consider

Congratulations on getting the 190 Bay! Below are a few thought to consider. I picked up my 190 Bay last month, and I learned a few things along the way:
If your trailer has surge brakes - your tow vehicle will need a 5-pin connector (inclusive of a blue wire) which will allow the brakes to be disengaged when going in reverse. Otherwise - in the absence of this blue wire - the trailer will simply lock up the brakes in reverse (unless you go in reverse very slowly or go down hill). If you try to go in reverse up an
incline - without the ability to disengage the brakes - the trailer will apply the brakes, and this can be a problem. You can also use a special tiny metal piece to keep the brakes from being activated in reverse. I received this special metal piece from my dealer. You insert it next to the bolt on the coupler before you go in reverse. It basically prevents the surge brakes from being activated. I actually bought a 6 pin to 5 pin adaptor, but it did not work for me - as a result - this special, tiny metal piece saved me from a great deal of grief.
My dealer provided me with a temporary license plate and boat registration. This was great because it enabled me to use the boat prior to getting it formally registered.
I don't know how the registry works in Florida, but in Massachusetts - I was required to have the "original copies" of the Certificate of Origin for the boat and the trailer - copies were not sufficient. In order to register them - I needed the original copies.
In order to pay excise tax on the boat and trailer - I ran into some issues because the bill of sale did not itemize the boat and trailer separately - it simply listed a total amount paid for the boat, trailer, and motor package. I circumvented this issue by: registering the boat first, paying the excise tax on the boat, motor, trailer (total package) and then submitting the proof that I paid the excise tax already (for both) when attempting to register the trailer.
Make sure that the boat comes with straps to secure it to the rear of the transom - as opposed to simply being secured by the winch strap and front eye bolt.
Ideally - make sure that you water test the boat with your dealer - prior to taking possession of it - in order to ensure that everything is functioning properly. My dealer and I had to figure out how to operate the raw water washdown and livewell pump. It actually involved opening a valve underneath of the rear casting deck - I am not sure if it's the same on the 2007 model vs. the 2008 model, though.
Make sure it has the appropriate prop on it - one that enables you to hit a specified RPM range at wide open throttle - and performs in a manner that suits your needs.
A water fuel separator is good to have.
It is good to have a bag of roplene powder and some Rule Elastomeric adhesive - in case your are adding any screws or mounting any electronics, etc....
If you got the bow cushion option - I would recommend removing it when trailering on the road because of the propensity for air to get underneath it and cause it to possibly flap around/be subject to stress/ or possibly get damaged or (in a worst case scenario) fly off of the boat.
Mine did not come with a spare tire - I recommend getting one - in case you get a flat tire.
Check out the trailer lights - brake light, turn signals, etc..- make sure they are working before you drive it away.
Make sure- if you are insuring the boat - that your insurance coverage is activated prior to taking possession.
It's good to have your ball/hitch at the appropriate height for trailering the 190 bay. My dealer flipped mine upside down - in other words, I showed up with a drop hitch that was too low in the bow, but they rectified it by unbolting the ball, flipping the REESE hitch upside down, re-mounting the ball, and consequently, achieved a height that was more appropriate for keep the trailer more level to the ground.
Make sure that the boat has all of the options that it is supposed to have . Mine showed up from the factory without the water/fuel separator (which I had actually ordered), but my dealer ended up putting one on for me.
If you plan on putting an electric trolling motor on the bow - I would recommend using the special TM bracket - in order to have it properly secured. These can be purchased from Merrit Marine or possibly acquired thru your dealer. A RAM support is also recommended - because of the tendency of the electric trolling motor to bounce around up front - this serves to secure it more firmly.
If your boat has the trolling motor wiring panel up front - you can operate the power trim for your outboard from the bow, the throttle lever, and the button on the side of the outboard ( 3 different locations that allow you to lift/adjust the height of the outboard).
There shouldn't be any water entering thru the rear drain holes/scuppers. If there is - check and make sure that the "ping pong balls" within the scuppers are forming a tight seal. One of mine had a tiny piece of silicone on it, which caused a little water to leak into the boat. This was easlily remedied by my dealer discovering the piece of silicone and removing it. I am told that sometimes the scuppers are screwed in too tightly ( causing possible water intrusion) ,and they sometimes need to be adjusted.
Make sure that all of the warranty cards are properly filled out and sent in.
Mine came with a Triumph manual. You would be well-served to read thru that before taking the boat out.
Before putting on boat numbers or stickers - you probably want to apply the special 3M primer .My dealer gave me some small 3M primer pencils that enable one to apply the primer - prior to applying boat number/sticker for proper adhesion to the Roplene/plastic hull.
------------------------------
General 190 Bay observations of mine:
-The boat has a very smoothe ride and puts out virtually no wake.
- The trailer bunks are positioned in such a manner that the boat aligns itself very easily on the trailer.
- It's shallow draft is such that I am not shy about hitting the shallows (with the outboard trimmed up). When I launched mine for my maiden voyage - I didn't even use the boat ramp. I launched it off the side of a cove on the lake and it worked out fine.
- The layout of the 190 Bay is phenominal. You have the two fold up rear seats, one or two people can use the lean post behind the console, and you can put at least on person (possibly two) on the livewell seat - in front of the console.
- The boat gets up on plane very quickly.
- It gives a dry ride,and it seems to be very stable at rest (minimal rocking back and forth).
- That's all for now. Enjoy your boat!

Excellent information Agereety! Thanks for taking time to share this with the membership. ;)

2007triumph-i Launch At Rivergate And Go North Up The "amazon" River Every Couple Of Weeks. If You Ever Go Out During The Week Give Me A P.m. And Ill Go Along In My Little 150.

Hey that sounds great Cape Codder. Right now I guess I should change my username to green horn boater, have always just went out in friends boats and never really paid much attention. I am going to have to rely on friends to go out with me for a bit so I feel comfortable with it. In a few weeks once I figure out what the heck I am doing we'll have to meet up at Rivergate.

Thanks again for the previous post about our local dealer in Fort Pierce. I let the owner Mike know when I went in to purchase the boat on Friday that I was hearing good things about his shop on this forum and from others. He knew exactly who you where and the issue that got resolved for you.

Wow thanks for the excellent info Agereety! This is my first boat so I really appreciate the information. The dealer is taking care of the license plates and paperwork so I think that is covered. The trailer does not have brakes on it so I hope the truck will stop her! lol. Glad you mentioned the straps, I may have to pick those up if they don't come with. The bow cushion was not included but my wife wants one so I am on the lookout for a better deal than the $400 it costs to add one.
Me and the dealer water test the boat and put the first hour of break in on the motor next Saturday. I will verify the wash down is working and keep an eye on those scuppers. As of now the boat just has a blank cover where the trolling jack up front would mount. I cannot afford to mount the trolling motor, battery setup supports, TM support...etc how I want to just yet but really like the idea of having the ability to also operate the trim from the bow once I do get the trolling setup. Is this a special panel setup or option that is needed to make the trim work up front? Great idea. I will definitely get with the dealer and get this added if its an option.
From this forum I have learned that I should have a water fuel separator installed and a grease fitting installed for the steering cable. The dealer is adding those for me while they are prepping the boat and installing the 115 Optimax 2S motor. I asked about adding a SS prop to the Optimax. It was suggested that since I really do not know the waters all that well that I should stick with the cheaper break away prop just in case. Probably good idea, I guess I can always change it out later. I just got finished installing a Drawtite hitch to my truck. I will have to see how it lines up with the trailer on Friday or Saturday. I can not wait.
Thanks again!

Agereety, I was just looking through your previous post and some of the other members pictures. I am curious if you or other members have any more (BIGer)pictures of your rigs and modifications? Since I am waiting for the boat I am in the process of researching the electronics I want to add. I am trying to find out where others are mounting their electronics like the fish finder, VHF, radio and what electronics they have chosen. So far I have narrowed down the fish finder/GPS to the Hummingbird 383C because of its size, afford ability and reviews online. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appeciated?

I was at Rivergate today watching people launch their boats. I did see one with a 150. Was that you Cape Codder? I am also new to boat ownership and currently waiting for mine to come in.

Enjoy your new ride and to save on some grief "after" getting her home the first time, make sure you review,print out and have with you when you go to pick it up... The checklist on this page Broken Link Removed ;)

Trevor536-no That Was Not Me At Rivergate Today. I Have The Luxury Of Launching During The Week Where I Have The Ramp To Myself.

Video clip of 190 Bay

Regarding the ability to trim up the outboard motor from the bow - I believe it is part of the trolling motor wiring option. If the boat has a small black panel on the inside/front of the bow - I believe it is located there. I am assuming that it could be added - if it did not originally come with your boat. I have not got around to posting photos of my boat yet. However, below is a video clip of the 190 Bay that I watched obsessively
while waiting for my boat to arrive. This clip got me thru a tough time:
-----------------
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=189
----------------

Thanks- I've been watching that few weeks...I heard that womens voice in my sleep!

Regarding the ability to trim up the outboard motor from the bow - I believe it is part of the trolling motor wiring option. If the boat has a small black panel on the inside/front of the bow - I believe it is located there. I am assuming that it could be added - if it did not originally come with your boat. I have not got around to posting photos of my boat yet. However, below is a video clip of the 190 Bay that I watched obsessively
while waiting for my boat to arrive. This clip got me thru a tough time:
-----------------
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=189
----------------

I will see if I can find the original 190 video that showed her going through the boat so you can see what she looks like ;) Hope you like brunettes ? :D

190 bay is home now!

I picked up my 190 bay on Wednesday and got about 1-1/2 hours of break in time on the water that evening. It rides great! We are taking her out the inlet tomorrow afternoon to catch some king! So far I have got the VHF, antenna and 178C mounted. I'll post pictures soon. Thanks for all of the info guys~

Back