DSC: How to connect Garmin 918c with ICOM402?

PAX

Participating Member
City
Bedford
I have both the Garmin 918c and the Icom 402. I would like to connect both to get full advantage of the extra safety offered by the DSC feature. The VHF comes with a jack, the GPS comes with a bunch of colored wires. Both docs are pretty vague (or at least not clear to me) about connecting two devices for DSC purposes. Any electronic guru out there who may help?

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if I can help, But My radio and GPS are the same manufacture, so the wire connections were the same. So that part was easy. How ever I heard, but not confirmed. That you must register to whom ever?? inorder for your #'s to be displayed on any vessel that is near to you. I wish I knew more of that. Other wise it is nice to know that when you are on the radio you can see you Lat and Long #'s displayed for quick reference.

Registar DSC at BoatUS's website. My Garmin 168 Sounder sends to a Standard Horizon and it was alot easier than I thought compared to the written instructions. I used a crimp-on connector to attach the wire from the VHF to the GPS' specific wire that was bundled to the GPS plug. That's all, when I get home I will look in the console to refresh my aging memory if there is a colour code to the wires.

Molarboater...thanks for the info on where to reg the dsc

Our Humminbird 937c GPS has a pigtail wire coming off the CPS Cable. We went to radio shack and bought some A/V Soldering Type Connectors and soldered the input and ground to the connector and plugged into the red cable on our Icom M-402S. To test you turn on your GPS and Radio and when your position is displayed on your GPS, press H/L + DSC at the same time and your position will be displayed. Hope this helps.

Pax, I called tech support for both ICOM and Eagle to make sure I connected the correct wires. Both owners manuals gave me the color and purpose of the wires. I just asked Eagle which wire was correct to connect based on what the ICOM manual said their wires did. Works like a champ for display of the LL. I also used crimp on connectors. One of the wires was very small so I quadrupled it before tucking into the crimp connector.

I will registering with Boat US this week, thanks for that tip also.

codfish

Back